Balsamic Glazed Steak Rolls
Recipe adapted from Picture the Recipe. For more info, visit their website.
- 1½ - 2lb flank steak or 8-10 thin sliced sirloin steaks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Any steak seasoning you like
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot
- 1 bell pepper
- ½ zucchini (depending on size)
- 5-6 green onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
BALSAMIC GLAZE SAUCE
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp finely minced shallots
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup beef broth
- Start by prepping the steak. Trim as much fat off as possible and cut the steak into 3 inch wide strips. Use odd shaped ends to taste test the marinade and balsamic glaze.
- Tenderize the meat with a meat hammer if needed.
- Season the steak pieces generously on both sides with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce and let them sit in the marinade for at least 30 mins. Ideally let them sit for a 2 hours.
- While the steak is marinating you can prep the filling:
- Chop up the carrot, bell pepper, and zucchini into matchstick size pieces, a little longer than the steak strips. Cut the green onion in a similar size and slice in half length-wise.
- For the garlic, simply peel and crush the cloves with the flat side of your knife, just enough to bruise them.
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add the finely chopped shallot and saute it for a minute or two until they turn soft and translucent.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and beef stock and stir to mix everything well.
- Allow the sauce to come to a boil and reduce to almost half its volume. As the consistency turns syrup-like and the butter starts to separate and come to the top, turn the heat off and transfer the sauce to a bowl.
- In the same pan that you made the glaze in, add a touch of olive oil and toss the garlic cloves to allow them to flavour the oil for a few minutes.
- Turn the heat up to high and toss in the carrots, bell pepper and zucchini and stir fry the veggies for no longer than 2-3 minutes.
- Season them with the Italian herb seasoning and salt and transfer veggies to a bowl.
- To assemble the steak rolls, simply take a strip of the marinated steak and lay it with the short side towards you. Place the veggies (including the green onion) in the middle and roll the beef up over the filling, securing it with a toothpick.
- Heat grill to medium heat. When hot, add beef rolls, seam side down. Make sure that none of the rolls touch each other. Season to taste.
- Turn roll and cook it on all sides and cook until you've cooked the steak to your preference.
- Once rolls are cooked to your preference, remove the toothpick and serve with the balsamic glaze sauce spooned over the top of each roll.